Never too old to learn.
- I believe in fundamentals.
- Adaptation, evolution. Design = solve the problem. (So changeable design > unchangeable design.)
- Community = group that works together.
- Group -> social -> trust.
- Trust each other to get things done.
- Our environment is everyone else.
- You want to be unique but also fit in. You feel lonely.
- So you form an “identity”, so you can fit in but be apart. A representation of yourself.
- Create an outside world we can control. Collect. Music. Home. Friends we trust. World is not so scary then.
- Can also create inside world we control: yoga, music, meditation, learning, …
- EVERYONE is doing this.
“A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone” (Thoreau)
Social design = facilitate communication.
- People just need to talk.
- Need identity, trust.
- People need connection.
Social Graph (nodes & edges).
- If you write it out, forms a narrative. Story.
- Narrative leads to identity: this is me. This is what I did.
- The connections give things life.
- Graph is very valuable information.
- Don’t hide info, show it all in feed.
- Keeps going, like life.
- Pile of things that I like.
- When something happens, send feedback (like, pin, repin, tag, …).
“Virtuous cycle of sharing” -> enough stuff and connections so it grows.
Might as well build things that bring people together.