We just added 1-click deploy from Subversion to poorbuthappy.com. It’s the first time I have that available, so no fudging with FTP-ing changed files or command-line crap. And it ROCKS!
The first time I read about the importance of 1-click deploy was at Joel’s website, (he calls it 1-click build) and then later in the Flickr Scaling Websites book. Now I finally have it. It rocks. Maybe we’ll open-source that. Here’s a screenshot of the admin screen:
Of Joel’s rules for good software, we now do many:
- Do you use source control? YES
- Can you make a build in one step? YES
- Do you make daily builds? No, but it’s not relevant.
- Do you have a bug database? YES
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code? Mmmmm..
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule? Not relevant.
- Do you have a spec? No, except for large features.
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions? Yes.
- Do you use the best tools money can buy? No money involved.
- Do you have testers? No.
- Do new candidates write code during their interview? Not relevant.
- Do you do hallway usability testing? YES.